How To Close Pocket Knife?
If you’re carrying a multifunctional knife with various blades inside, you should know how to close a pocket knife. Different knives have specific locking systems that want the right way to carry out your work without confusion easily.
Pocket knives are more extraordinarily complex than different knives, so there are a few recommendations that you can follow to open and close a pocket knife more easily. Pocket knives are used for camping, hiking, traveling, fishing, and other adventures. They are more powerful and multifunctional than a simple knife.
By knowing to open and close a knife, you can also increase the life of the blades and make it last longer for any activity. This guide is also helpful if you find a solution about how to close a folding knife. To know the answer to your question about how you close a knife, you also need to know about your knife and its number of blades.
What Are Different Types of Knife Locks?
Before knowing different methods of closing a pocket knife, you should first learn about different knife locks. The locking system varies from knife to knife, depending upon the number and design of blades. Here are a few types of knife locking systems that you need to consider:
1. Slip Joint System
Most knives use a joint slip system for opening and closing the knife. The reason is that it is simple and easy to use than others. They are used for light operations where you don’t need much force. It limits the usage of such kind of knife for heavy-duty usage.
2. Frame Lock System
In a frame locking system, an extra portion of the knife works as a knife locking system. It locks the knife blade outside when pulled off fully at the end. The locking part of the knife is also used to prevent the blade from closing automatically. For closing the knife, you apply small stress on the outside portion of the blade to the inner side.
3. Liner Lock System
The liner lock has the same procedure as the frame lock for opening and closing the knife. In this method, you need to push the blade inside rather than outside. There is a tab on the knife’s liner, which you have to push on the inner side. You can push the fixed blade in the closed position from this point.
The Lockback system is different from others as it has a metal plate at the top side of the knife handle which fits the blade with the backside of the knife. This type of knife is used for heavy-duty operations. The applied pressure at the spine keeps the knife in a closed position. You need to keep pressing the spine for keeping the knife in a close position.
1. Closing A Knife Without a Locking System
- Hold the knife by your right hand from the handle. Your thumb should be on one side and 4 fingers should be on the second side. In this way, you will get a strong grip on the knife.
- Make sure the finger should be away from the knife blade to avoid any injury. Now hold the dull side of the blade and apply some pressure on the blade. The knife blade will close safely.
- Some blades also featured a ridge on the knife blade to avoid any slippage.
- You can also close the flat table to close the knife. For this purpose, you should keep the knife blade on the downside and apply some pressure by holding the knife in your hand in the same way as stated above.
- It is the simplest method if you have a flat surface nearby or you can also use a concrete floor for this purpose. This method is also best if your second hand is busy in any other activity or holding anything extra.
2. Closing Knives with Liner and Frame Locks
- First of all, check the liner or frame of the knife you have to use to close the knife. There is a separate place in the inner side of both linings which is used for adjusting the knife blade.
- The liner lock system adjusts the knife blade in the inner space and also uses less space as compared to other types of knives. Now hold the knife from the lining handle with the right hand in such a way that your fingers should be on opposite sides as compared to your thumb.
- This is the most comfortable way and also provides a stronger grip than any other technique. Now start pushing the knife blade in the inner side with the help of your thumb. You should be careful here as it can suddenly fall and cut your fingers.
- To avoid this, hold the knife blade from both sides and slowly push it inside the liner. After closing move the thumb away from the knife blade.
3. Closing A Button Knife Blade
- Hold the knife with your right hand with the same method by keeping the thumb on the button of the knife. The important benefit of using a button knife is that you can easily press the button and open or close the knife.
- Before pressing the button make sure that there is no person present near to knife blade and also keep your fingers away from the knife handle. If your knife has a different design and has a button at a different place then you can manage accordingly.
- Now press the button and use your second-hand fingers to press the knife blade inside the knife. When the blade gets close completely then move the finger from the knife blade.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Close a Stuck Pocket Knife?
First, you have to find the reason for the stuck knife and find a perfect solution for that. The possible causes of stuck knives are rusting, malfunctioning, and mechanism failure.
If your knife is stuck due to rusting, you can use an oil or WD-40. If you are facing any other issue, you should perform cleaning o your knife with oil, warm water, or any other method and then practice opening or closing the knife again. It is a perfect solution about how to fix a pocket knife that won’t close.
How Do You Close A Pocket Knife?
There are various ways to close a pocket knife with one hand, which one is very famous and simple. This method uses a flat surface or concrete surface for closing the knife.
For this purpose, hold the knife in your dominant hand, keeping the finger on the opposite side of the thumb. Now keep the knife blade on any flat surface and press it slowly. In this way, you can easily close the knife with the help of one hand.
How To Close a Pocket Knife Without a Locking System?
Close a knife without any locking system is more important than close a knife with a lock. First of all, hold the knife tightly in your dominant hand and make sure your hand or finger remains away from the knife slot.
Now hold the knife blade with your thumb and slowly push it into the inner side with the help of the other hand to avoid any injury. You can also use a solid surface to close the knife efficiently.
What Safety Precautions Should We Take for A Pocket Knife?
To use your knife for a long time without spending much on it, you need some precautions. It will increase the life of your knife and keep it new from day one. You first need to know all blades and locking systems of your knife.
First, you should clean your knife immediately after performing any operation or adventure. The second thing you need to do is properly close the knife blade to avoid any mechanical failure.
How To Close Gerber Knife?
For this purpose, press the knife button carefully to save your hand. Keep the knife blade inside when you close the knife. Make sure the knife is leaning toward the knife handle. When it completely gets into the knife handle, press the button again and hold the knife metal with one hand.
The most important thing in closing a pocket knife is to consider the locking system of the knives. You have to know all things about your knife blades and locking system so you can choose a better way to close a pocket knife. You must have a basic knowledge of your knife before considering any closing method.
Various methods can be used for closing a knife of which some explained here. This step-by-step guide will help you to solve your problem related to your knife you will find a better way to how to close knife.
Please Check Our Latest Articles About The Following:
- How To Clean Swiss Army Knife?
- How To Make A Knife Handle?
- How To Sharpen A Knife Without A Sharpener?
- How To Wear A Boot Knife?