How To Make Knife Handle?
The knife handle increases the beauty of a knife and provides a stronger grip to carry out any work. The knife handles have to be high-quality and comfortable. They can be used for any activity, including slicing food, camping, and outside adventure, or working on any DIY knife handle projects.
In this guide, we will offer an in-depth solution on how to make a knife handle. It is important to choose a strong handle for a knife because if the handle is weak, then you need to apply greater force to cutting any item. Moreover, the soft handle can break and harm your hand while working.
The fundamental aspect you should keep in mind before designing any knife handle is the knife’s material, design, comfort, and usage. Different types of knives like kitchen knives, hunting knives, and fishing knives have different types of material due to their purpose of use. You should choose a knife’s material based on your knife’s type.
How To Choose Material for Making a Knife Handle?
There are two types of material needed for making a knife handle which is necessary and optional. You need wood or artificial material knife blade, the scale for measurement, masking tape, and sandpaper and pins for necessary material. An optional material you need to have is a color for painting on the handle.
The first step is to choose a good wood for knife handles or carbon fiber for making a handle. Choosing the best knife handle wood as the main body material is highly recommended as it is easily available and more economical than carbon fiber. Wood is also available in various types, so you can easily choose according to the type of usage of your knife.
Another material like carbon fiber is expensive. The only advantage of the material is that it is lightweight and can be easily carried.
How To Make Knife’s Handle Step by Step?
- First of all, take a full-length knife handle blade with bare metal. Making knife handle design should be like the handle and have the required length. Now take wood and prepare it in a handle shape. If you have all the items ready, then spread them all on a flat surface so you can find and pick them easily during your work.
- Cover the whole knife, especially from the short side, with masking tape to avoid injury. The next step to take is the measurement of wood according to the knife’s blade. While cutting the wood for the handle, leave some additional wood parts.
- Now use a drill to create a hole in the wood. The size of these holes depends upon the size of the pins. You can also use the measurement scale to find the exact size of the holes. Making wrong holes can create trouble for adjusting wood or fiber on the knife blade.
- Now take the pins and cut them into small pieces. The number of rods depends upon the holes in the surface of the blade. You can choose the rod’s thickness to depend upon the blade hole size.
- The next step is most important which is used for adjusting wood or fiber to the knife handle blade. Use two clamps and a piece of paper for this purpose. Now use epoxy for knife handles and adjust the clamp according to the scale measurement on the wood or fiber.
- Now attach the clamp to the wood placing it at the metal blade handle and compress it. Now use the pins into the wood holes and then fix it through metal handle blade holes. Now attach the other side of the wood to the metal blade and perform the same procedure.
- Once all the layers got attached by pin rods then use these clamps to compress it for 5 to 10 minutes. After some time when it gets dry then you can remove the clamp. Now is the time to make your knife handle beautiful.
- Now there is a need to make the shape and design of the handle of the knife which is called sanding the knife. After attaching your pins with the wood through the knife blade you can now easily sand the knife into a beautiful shape.
- Now use sandpaper to make the rough edges of the knife beautiful and shiny. The reason to make your knife beautiful and shiny is that rough edges will make you uncomfortable and you can perform your job efficiently. After this, you can also polish your knife handle which will make it more comfortable and stylish as well for using a long time.
How To Make a Stage Knife Handle?
Stage handles are another form of knife handles that are expensive and stylish. The important advantage of these handles is providing a stronger grip than other types. This knife’s handle has the best use for camping, fishing, traveling, and hunting purposes.
- First of all, you need a deer horn to make a handle from it. Make it smooth and easy to handle with a sharpening tool. After this take a large bowl of boiling water and then place the deer horn in it for about an hour.
- The boiling water will make the staghorn soft. After boiling the horn dry it with a clean towel or cloth. Then also use a clamp and glue for attaching the horn with a knife blade. Use pin rods with the glue through deer horn holes and then clean the extra glue with a dry cloth.
- Now try to move the horn blade for some time to make sure that the knife should not get stuck during its usage. If the handle is working properly then you are ready to use it for any type of activity or adventure.
How To Make a G-10 Knife Handle?
G-10 knife handle is another type of handle which you can use for different types of adventures or daily life activities.
- First of all, you need to have a scale for measurement. Take a paper of exact the handle size and draw a handle design over it. You should also use black magic paper.
- Create holes along with the design with the drill by ensuring the size and design to accurate. Use epoxy or glue to attach the two sides of the design paper. It will help you to stay at the place before applying it to the handle.
- You alight epoxy for attaching the design paper with the knife handle so you can easily adjust or remove them in any trouble. Keep cleaning the knife handle while attaching the scaling.
- Use pins and rods to attach the scale with the handle. After cleaning the handle from glue or epoxy, after drying you can now use the knife handle for your adventure or other purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Wood To Make Knife Handle?
If you are making a knife handle with wood, it is extremely important to find reliable and long-lasting wood. Many kinds of wood are used: natural oak wood, Rosewood, Ebony wood, cocobolo wood, Bocote, Bloodwood satin, Olivewood, Birch Laminate, Amboyna Burl, and Walnut wood. The most important thing to look at in wood is comfort, toughness, beauty, and budget.
How To Make A Knife Handle From Antler?
First of all, you have to remove the old knife handle and then cut the antler into the shape of the knife handle. Now drill the antler for pins and rods to attach it to the knife blade. To fill all the holes to fill the extra holes you don’t need. Now also remove the extra edges and roughness by the sanding process. In this way, you will get a beautiful and different style of the knife handle.
How To Make A Knife Handle Without Pins?
For this purpose, you need to have a solid wood box larger than the knife blade handle. Now drill the wood box with a drill machine and make a hole exact to the size of the knife blade. After this, put your knife handle inside the wood box hole and use glue along with it. Please wait until all the glue gets dry, and now you are free to use it for your adventures.
How To Make A Knife Handle With Paracord?
It is the simplest and easiest method that you can use to make a knife handle. For this purpose, you need a paracord, lighter, duct tape, cardboard, and a lighter. Start folding the duct tape on the knife handle and then fold a paracord to all the handle blades. First, fold the paracord, turn the knife, and tie the knot to tighten the knot. Repeat the same process and complete the procedure.
How To Make A Hunting Knife Handle?
First of all, draw the structure of the knife handle by comparing it to other designs. Now take a saw and cut the wood into a shape of a knife handle. The material you require for a hunting knife blade is a saw, bare knife blade, glue, pins, and sandpaper. The hunting knife handle required more durability and stronger material than any other knife handle.
How To Make A Wooden Knife Handle?
First of all, measure the knife handle tang and then take a strong wood material that should be larger than the tang. After that, use a grinder to create the shape of the knife handle. Now remove the corners and make it smooth with sandpaper for a strong grip and avoid any accidental stab due to slippage. Now use pins and epoxy to attach the wood handle to the knife tang.
How To Make Knife Scales?
For this purpose, you need colored wood and then shape it into a knife handle. Knife scales are two pieces of material used to attach to the tang of the knife. For this purpose, take wood and then cut it into two pieces with a cutter and adjust them into the shape of the knife handle. Then use the pins for attachment.
If you are making a knife handle, you can choose different materials and designs based on your need and usage. Your knife needs to use for years without breaking the handle. You need to choose the right material, wood, fiber, or any other. If you have the right tool and materials, you can also design them on your own instead of wasting your money on any professionals.
Please Check Our Latest Articles About The Following:
- Stamped Vs Forged Knives
- Best Whittling Knives For Beginners
- Best Electric Knife For Cleaning Fish
- How To Close A Folding Knife?
- How To Wear A Boot Knife?
Leave a Reply